Do you know your credit score? Do you even know what a credit score is? If you don’t, you’ve stumbled across a useful and brief guide on what ChexSystems and your credit score are. It is essential to know your credit standing for your financial wellness!
Editor’s Note: Already know how to find your free credit score through ChexSystems? Check out our article about Hard Pull vs. Soft Pull Banks and how it affects you!
Table of Contents
What are Credit Scores and ChexSystems?
Your credit score is a number that tells banks and credit unions how risky of a bank consumer you are. Most of the time, the higher your score is the better! A low score can lead you to not be able to open up different bank accounts and even prevent you from buying large ticket items like real estate.
So what is ChexSystems? ChexSystems is a reporting agency that determines your credit score and risk as a consumer. They offer you a free report every 12-months due to a governmental act called the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA). Find out your credit score with this guide on how to get a free report from ChexSystems!
How to get a Free ChexSystems Report
There are 4 easy ways to do it. I’ll break them down nice and easy for you.
- Visit the ChexSystems Site
- Press Consumer Request for Disclosure
- Follow the Steps
Voice Messaging System/ Phone
- Call their number at 800-428-9623
- Complete, print, and mail the following Consumer Request for Disclosure Form
- Send it toChex Systems, Inc.Attn: Consumer Relations7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
- Complete, print and fax the Consumer Request for Disclosure Form
Fax to: 602.659.2197
How to Maintain a High Credit Score
Now that you know your credit score, what moves do you need to take to reach or stay at a high credit score? ChexSystems analyzes consumers through a multitude of factors and actions that the consumer takes. Here is a small list of what you can do!
- When you close a bank, stop your automatic payments.
- Contact your bank before closing an account. ChexSystems can dock you points for closing without warning.
- Allow 3-5 days before using money from checks.
- Misuse of your account can lead to a lower ChexSystems report.
- Ensure that your account is safe with a PIN and multiple security measures.
- If you post-date a check, be sure to have enough money in the account to avoid overdraft fees.
- Check up on your account with their bank statements. Ensure there is no strange activity.
- Contact your bank immediately if there is any strange activity!
- Report lost or stolen checks to your bank!
Credit scores are essential to financial wellness. Having a high score and great reports with ChexSystems will give you the ability to open bank accounts easily and clear yourself for loans for big ticket purchases like a car or a home. ChexSystems offers one free report every 12 months allowing you to check where you stand. It is super easy to request a report. Simply visit online, call, mail, or fax ChexSystems and they will work on getting your report together! Be sure to also view the Best Bank Deals at blackthorn-cider!